Bad case of the Whiskey Face - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 01-27-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Removed per request

Bad case of the Whiskey Face

I want to get into sipping scotch and whiskey (whisky) with my cigars or as its own separate entity. I whiskey face it no matter what and its quite frustrating when I see someone sitting there enjoying it "saying how smooth it is" ARHG!!!!! My whiskey facing case is pretty bad too; this New years I was offered Johnny Walker Blue Label and I could barely sip it without giving a prune face. What am I doing wrong??? I don't remember beer or wine being this much of a learning curve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Beer Snob

Re: Bad case of the Whiskey Face

Hard to say if it is what your drinking or how your drinking or just your personal preference. I may suggest don't go to straight whiskey may want to do whiskey and coke or whiskey sour to get you more used to flavor. Could add water to make less strong. Also I think what you drink matters I prefer bourbon and scotch over any whiskey. Also its a sip not a shot drink slow and enjoy!

Boycotting Dr. Pepper cause they killed Dublin Dr.Pepper
post #3 of 33 Old 01-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Don't inhale while drinking it. I also swish it around in my mouth before I swallow it.

post #4 of 33 Old 01-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Maturing Puffer Fish

It's possible it's "what" your drinking. Do you like whiskey when mixed such as bourbon and coke or lynchburg lemonade? Mint Julep? While straight whiskey is an acquired taste, do you even enjoy it at some level? Something else to think about, is it the heat or the flavor that makes you wince? If you find that you like some whiskey mixed, maybe go with that as a starting point. For me while I appreciate most whiskies, bourbon is the only one that truly gets me excited. Scotch I find less universally palatable certainly some regions like Islay.

Regarding "how" you're drinking, water will actually open it up; so while it's diluted I find it more intense. Ice on the other hand I find to make it easier to drink compared to neat. Don't go with a bucket of ice; one or two cubes will do. Sipping is just that, a tiny sip. A single shot can last me up to 30 minutes or even longer if I'm smoking a cigar with it. Lastly, practice makes perfect lol. Whiskey is an acquired taste and the more you familiarize yourself with it the more accustom your palate will be.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALY LEFT BLANK
post #5 of 33 Old 01-27-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Removed per request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Lucky 13 View Post
Hard to say if it is what your drinking or how your drinking or just your personal preference. I may suggest don't go to straight whiskey may want to do whiskey and coke or whiskey sour to get you more used to flavor. Could add water to make less strong. Also I think what you drink matters I prefer bourbon and scotch over any whiskey. Also its a sip not a shot drink slow and enjoy!
I'll try to mix it although I've had that in the past too and only tasted the whiskey lol. I AM HOPLESS. I want to try and find a whiskey bar near me, I hear that is a wise move in expanding your appreciation. I was the same way with beer when I turned 21. I use to have to chase it with a soda.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-27-2015, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Removed per request

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapHumidors View Post
Don't inhale while drinking it. I also swish it around in my mouth before I swallow it.
All good advice, I definitely inhale when I drink (especially when I tried Jack Daniels Sour Mash). I'll have to try swishing it around. When I'm in the market for adding a new line of coffee to my Café, I have a cupping. Part of the process involves slurping a spoonful of fresh roasted coffee from a spoon all over the palate. Maybe some of that experience will help.
post #7 of 33 Old 01-27-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Removed per request

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSmoke View Post
It's possible it's "what" your drinking. Do you like whiskey when mixed such as bourbon and coke or lynchburg lemonade? Mint Julep? While straight whiskey is an acquired taste, do you even enjoy it at some level? Something else to think about, is it the heat or the flavor that makes you wince? If you find that you like some whiskey mixed, maybe go with that as a starting point. For me while I appreciate most whiskies, bourbon is the only one that truly gets me excited. Scotch I find less universally palatable certainly some regions like Islay.

Regarding "how" you're drinking, water will actually open it up; so while it's diluted I find it more intense. Ice on the other hand I find to make it easier to drink compared to neat. Don't go with a bucket of ice; one or two cubes will do. Sipping is just that, a tiny sip. A single shot can last me up to 30 minutes or even longer if I'm smoking a cigar with it. Lastly, practice makes perfect lol. Whiskey is an acquired taste and the more you familiarize yourself with it the more accustom your palate will be.
Never had Bourbon before, what's it like? I think its a combination of everything that makes me wince: Mostly the smell. I hear inhaling isn't the best move but what can I say, its all I do when I'm gasping for air. Great advice on the sipping part. I simply don't; just kind of in a rush to get the wincing over with, then taking the licks from my friends who all enjoy the stuff.
post #8 of 33 Old 01-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Bourbon by law needs to be minimum 51% corn, made in the USA, no more than 160 proof, aged in charred new white oak barrels for min of 2 years. The corn is really what gives bourbon its distinction and some sweetness. With the oak aging you can expect caramel, vanilla, toffee sort of flavors. Also with the aging, it can have a syrupy mouthfeel. I personally find bourbon to be very approachable for whiskey but there's always such a variety and some less "newb friendly". I think buffalo trace is a textbook example of what bourbon is and very approachable IMO if you want to try at some point. Reasonably priced as well.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALY LEFT BLANK
post #9 of 33 Old 01-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Ruler Of The Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapHumidors View Post

there is no folly of the beast of the earth which is not infinitely outdone by the madness of men
post #10 of 33 Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
What? If you breath in as you bring it to your mouth, you get the big whiff of alcohol which can cause you to make that weird face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page