Know Your Smoking Etiquette! - Cigar Discussion Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-09-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Know Your Smoking Etiquette!

"Smoking is often a hot-button topic for many people. When you’re relaxing at home, how you smoke doesn’t matter; it’s your space, so you can usually follow your own rules. If you venture out, though, you have to share that space (and air) with other people. Not only can poor smoking etiquette around others make you seem like a jerk, but it can even get you in trouble in some situations."

Read More Here
BigB2943 likes this.

Follow Puff.com on Facebook!

Last edited by Cricket; 09-14-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

While I agree with the premise of the Thread there are and will be extenuating circumstances when it applies to Cigar Smoking. 50 years has taught me that the wise enthusiast will explore where they are allowed to smoke cigars and while the last 50 years has changed quite a bit I'd never smoke where it isn't allowed...that's wrong. There are now establishments where cigars are not allowed and they are places that sell cigars but the city or state has now changed the rules.....bars....B&M's.....outside...ridiculous. If those who don't like cigars really don't want to be around them....then find a place ( and there are tons of places for them to go ) and quit preaching to cigar smokers how bad the habit is. Ok, I'll do that WHEN you start mounting your restrictions with public transportation buses that spew and belch smoke for miles.....when factories start cutting their smoke and chemicals into the air along with so many other things that put chemicals into the air...like their big f'n Suburbans or their gas guzzling half tracks ( Hummers ) that spew stuff into the environment....when they cut back on sugar and pesticides...when they restrict the amount of processed junk in our food supply....need I go on and list things that people don't feel the need to preach about...?

Let's talk about alcohol for a few seconds.....about ALL of the accidents because of drunk drivers....cell phone use when people just have to text and drive and while they are drunk they cause untold deaths....is that too sensitive a subject matter to discuss with others.....yeah it is because the alcohol and cell phone companies have lobbyists who want to ensure that their products stay out there....even if it kills people but cigars...let's not have a discussion of something where others enjoy and will try to accommodate others around them.....but not in a CIGARS ALLOWED environment. If it's allowed ...trust me...I'm pulling one out and lighting up.

I'm fine with trying to be accommodating but there is a limit as to what I will do to do that.
gtechva, Cricket, Kernel and 1 others like this.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #3 of 11 Old 06-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Doh!

+1 cigary
gtechva and Cricket like this.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-14-2016, 12:03 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff View Post

Smoking is often a hot-button topic for many people. When youíre relaxing at home, how you smoke doesnít matter; itís your space, so you can usually follow your own rules. If you venture out, though, you have to share that space (and air) with other people. Not only can poor smoking etiquette around others make you seem like a jerk, but it can even get you in trouble in some situations.

Are you worried that you donít have the proper smoking etiquette? Here are a few things to keep in mind next time youíre about to light up around others.

Know the Rules

Before you light up, make sure that smoking is allowed where you are. An increasing number of restaurants and other public spaces have banned smoking; in many cities, there are regulations prohibiting smoking in all places of business (yes, including bars). If youíre at a private residence, the same applies; be sure to ask your host before you light up. If smoking isnít allowed, youíll either have to wait until you leave or step outside to have your smoke. Regardless of where you are, donít forget to excuse yourself if you step away.

Ask Those Around You

If youíre with a group of people, take the time to ask whether they mind you smoking before you light up. Some wonít care, but others might. This is especially important if you arenít sure whether those in the group smoke or not. If there are other smokers in the group, take a moment to offer them a smoke as well. Even if they would rather smoke their own or donít feel like a smoke at the moment, making the gesture is the polite thing to do.

Watch Your Smoke

Though it should go without saying, always be careful where you direct your smoke when you exhale. Blowing your smoke in the direction of someone who doesnít smoke is in extremely poor taste Ė in some cases can even trigger problems such as an asthma attack. Make sure youíre not hanging out beside a door or open window when you smoke, since smoke could enter the building and expose others to it as they enter and exit. Be careful with your ashes and butts, too, disposing of them properly instead of just tossing them wherever outside.

Smoking and Conversation

If youíre around others while you smoke, make sure you donít take a puff or drag right before speaking Ė the last thing you want to do is end up blowing some of your smoke at the person youíre talking to. Stay back slightly from others in the conversation, since youíll have the smell of smoke on your breath as you talk. You may even want to carry a travel toothbrush or some breath-refreshing gum with you to freshen up after you smoke, excusing yourself to the bathroom if necessary to take care of your smokerís breath.

Interactions with Nonsmokers

Be polite when talking with nonsmokers, honoring their wishes if they ask you not to smoke. If youíre asked to put out a cigarette, smile and put it out. It may seem like youíre caving to pressure and you might feel like you have the right to finish your smoke, but remember that youíre sharing the space with them as well. Carefully put your extinguished cigarette away and excuse yourself when you have a moment so you can find some other place to finish it. If someone harasses you about smoking or asks you why you do something thatís so bad for you, politely state that you enjoy smoking and resist the urge to argue about it. If it continues, excuse yourself and find another conversation to join.

Smoking Indoors

If smoking is allowed indoors, remember that many of these same rules apply. Be careful where you blow your smoke, being considerate of those around you. Be mindful of what youíre doing while you smoke, as you donít want to accidentally drop ashes or embers on the floor. If youíre worried about smoking indoors, feel free to excuse yourself for a smoke outside.

Making a First Impression

When meeting someone for the first time through an appointment, try to refrain from having a smoke until after you meet them. Coming into the meeting smelling like smoke can create a negative first impression youíll have to overcome. Have a smoke early, then grab a quick shower and put on clean clothes. Donít forget to brush your teeth. Once the meeting is over, you can then excuse yourself for a smoke without establishing a negative impression right off the bat.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 Old 07-03-2016, 02:55 AM
Alpha Puffer Fish

I agree with @Cigary that this thread has a good premise. Of course, being a courteous smoker is no different than being courteous and polite in any other aspect of our lives. It's fairly obvious, tobacco is the hip thing to be against. So be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff View Post
If someone harasses you about smoking or asks you why you do something thatís so bad for you, politely state that you enjoy smoking and resist the urge to argue about it. If it continues, excuse yourself and find another conversation to join.
I'm certainly up for a good conversation, and if I'm ask a question, I'll do my best to give a good, honest answer, or not answer at all. That being said, I'm not the type that should be ask a question, if the asking party doesn't want an honest answer. I've never been one that likes confrontation, and will make a reasonable effort to avoid it. I care even less for harassment. While I stand accountable for my decisions, there are not a lot of people to whom I am accountable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
I'm fine with trying to be accommodating but there is a limit as to what I will do to do that.
^^^Thanks, Gary. I feel the same way.
Cigary and Puff like this.

I've been known to give people a piece of my mind. Here lately, I'm questioning if I have enough left to share.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-12-2016, 05:05 AM
The secret word is cigars

Steve Harvey gave a great response, the gist was: "before you tell me why cigars are bad for me. I have 5-7 jobs and the only time I get for me is when I light up a cigar. I don't do drugs, drink and have only one wife (whose at home workng). So, this is something I do for me. That's it. So, if all I have is a cigar...who does it hurt?
Cigary and gtechva like this.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-12-2016, 05:55 AM
Young Puffer Fish

^ the only thing it tends to hurt is the bank account. Haha....
Navistar likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-12-2016, 11:25 AM
No longer a community member.

Etiquette is such a wonderful subject, I have in my almost 70 years on this planet seen so many things that was expected when for instance you went to a wedding just disappear.

I am not sure if it is etiquette or good manners but I personally would have paid hell had I forgot to send my mother a mothers days card. My step sun never remember to do this, he wishes her a happy Mother's Day on Facebook.

The only way to get people to practice Etiquette is to teach then the rules of the Cigar smoking game.

I was at the local Cigar Lounge yesterday I need a relate, one of ther other guy offered me his lighter, I used it, as I handed it back I think him. I have seen others do the same thing, and never get a thank you.
gtechva likes this.

Last edited by Tabloid Snapper; 07-12-2016 at 02:06 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-12-2016, 12:30 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabloid Snapper View Post
I have in my almost 70 years on this plant

A little typo my friend

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Raul Julia
post #10 of 11 Old 07-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

With the proven dangers of second hand smoke I do watch where and when I puff. As far as etiquette goes I just call it common sense. If ya think its wrong well then it probably is. For the most part I do not puff in public just to avoid problems unless I know that where I am going has signs all over the place that say I can smoke I leave my stuff at home. If on long trips away from home that I want a smoke I simply find a quiet spot outdoors away from folks.

I live with a woman who I will refer to as the Nicotine Nazi. She hates everything about tobacco and I hear it all the time but even though I do get tired of her rants I find myself respectful of her space and would never subject her to anything she deems evil...lol. Just as I would any other person out there. Etiquette is just a fancy word for the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group and dang hard to spell for someone with limited education.
UBC03 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page