Xikar Stratosphere high altitude jet lighter. - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-24-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
My cat's Chief of Staff

Xikar Stratosphere high altitude jet lighter.

I ordered one of these from Xikar recently after a long battle of trying to find a lighter that would work up here.

I live at 7500 f. I work at 9000 ft. I couldn't get a ronson jetlite, a lotus, or a bugatti to work up here. The guy at Xikar I spoke to on the phone swore that the Stratosphere would work up to 12000 ft.

So far it has worked at home, at work, and even up at the top of the ski slopes which is 10400 ft.

My only test left for it is to see how it does at the top of Greenie Peak, which is 11600 ft. If it works up there I will give it a 100% for function. Once I get a clear night without clouds I will drive up there with my telescope, and test the lighter too.

My only complaint is that it seems a bit "cheap". The 4.50$ Ronson Jetlite I bought is WAY nicer than the 29$ Xikar Stratosphere. The Stratosphere is made from plastic, needs filling every other day, and it's super easy to melt the plastic top of the lighter with the flame.

So while I'm really happy to have finally found a jet lighter that will work here, I feel it doesn't live up to what I expect from Xikar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-30-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
My cat's Chief of Staff

Re: Xikar Stratosphere high altitude jet lighter.

My stratosphere lighter stopped working two nights ago.

Did the bleed, fill, bleed, fill, tiny bleed routine... no luck.

Went to walmart today and bought a can of air. Blew it out, still no luck.

It had some sort of tiny heater at the bottom of the flame that glowed orange. That is what stopped working rendering the lighter 100% inoperative. :-(

I got the lighter two days before my previous review and it stopped working two days ago. That is a six day life span for a 29$ (plus tax, plus postage to send back) bloody plastic lighter.

I will spend the cash to send it back, but truth be told, I expect the same thing to happen again.

Every other Xikar product I've bought seemed "quality" the moment I touched and layed hands on them. Not this lighter. It's plastic and looked and felt "cheap".

Oh well... live and learn, eh?
post #3 of 8 Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

I'm at 4900 feet is that why my jet lighter doesn't work. Never thought about that. I thought I just had a dud lighter.

I rock the BIC lighter because I don't care anymore.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-30-2012, 08:22 PM
True Derelict

All the back pack magazines say Bic minis and zippo work best at altitude.

I have lived at or just above sea level for most of my life so, what do I know of this???

I don't always drink beer,,,
OK, yes I do
post #5 of 8 Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Young Puffer Fish

I got a Xikar Stratosphere too. I work @ 6000 feet and live @ 9400. The lighter worked ok at work but not at home so I sent it in and they fixed/adjusted it and when I got it back it didn't work AT ALL. I lucked out and Xikar was doing a presentation at my local Tobacconist. I showed it to them and they couldn't get it to work either so they gave me a new one. GREAT customer service but I'm still not at all happy with the lighter. It works ok at work but at home it MIGHT light once in 20 tries.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 PM
No longer a community member.

I've been reading lots of reviews on these high altitude lighters from different manufacturers and there inst one that has consistent decent reviews.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-12-2014, 02:57 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

A lot of the Vector KGM brand lighters work up to 10,000 feet and I very rarely get complaints about the Vector brand. They have always been super reliable.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-12-2014, 05:00 PM
Puff Contest Czar

You guys need to move where the air is and then you can rock the Ronsons like the rest of us low landers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page