Cigar Discussion Forums

Cigar Discussion Forums (https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/)
-   Cigar Accessory Questions (https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/cigar-accessory-questions/)
-   -   Thirsty Humidor (https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/cigar-accessory-questions/174903-thirsty-humidor.html)

debrent 02-02-2012 09:49 AM

Thirsty Humidor

I've been working for the past 2 days to "season" my new Bally humidor. After after 2 wipedowns and 2 days with the wet sponge inside, along with the hydration element, this morning my freshly salt tested and calibrated meter read 40%. When I opened it to check the sponge, it was still pretty wet. By the way the seal on the lid seems tight so that isn't a factor. This morning I did another wipedown and re-wet the sponge. It shot up to 65% and is holding there.

I don't see how it could be at 40% and not be drinking more from that sponge.

I have a digital on the way. Hope that eliminate any meter questions but the analog I'm using now wasn't that far off when I salt tested and calibrated it.

Any thoughts?

Don

Poneill272 02-02-2012 09:54 AM

Re: Thirsty Humidor

How often are you opening your humi during the seasoning. Ideally, you should just put the sponge in there and leave it alone for 24 hrs at a time.

Poneill272 02-02-2012 09:56 AM

Are you following the HerfNTurf guide to seasoning?

debrent 02-02-2012 12:09 PM

Didn't really open it at all during the 24 hr periods between wipedowns. I just wasn't expecting the drop to 40% after the initial spike to 60-65%. Makes me think my meter might not be sealed and is reading ambient outside air through the bezel or faceplate.

I'm following the guide that came with the unit. But I'm open to suggestions.

waylman 02-02-2012 01:27 PM

Definitely get a digital hygro and make sure you calibrate it. There's no point in doing anything further until you are certain you have a good hygro.
Keep in mind it can take up to a couple of weeks to properly season a new humidor. I learned this the hard way recently!
I followed HERF's guide but to be honest, it didn't work. I needed to apply water directly to the humidor wood several times. Not a lot of water mind you, but I believe larger humi's need this.

maxlexi 02-02-2012 01:49 PM

Just salt test your new digital hygrometer when you get it and you should be good to go. I would recommend heartfelt beads also. Good luck

chasingstanley 02-02-2012 05:04 PM

Agreed your analog hygro isn't going to give you an accurate reading...
Also agreed you definately can't rush the seasoning process...
Patience my good man.

debrent 02-02-2012 06:35 PM

Well I know it takes time. And I have no shortage of patience as far as the process goes. My main problem is that I've got cigars that I bought with the humidor that are in danger of drying out if I don't get them in there soon. They're in the freezer now (recomendation from another thread). I guess I'll see what the digital hygrometer says. Should have that in hand tomorrow or Saturday.

debrent 02-03-2012 12:24 AM

Update: Tonight I did one final wipedown and the humidor is holding around 65% +/- 10%(for the analog) without the sponge but with an open canister of Ciguardian Hydro-Gel, and of course the freshly soaked foam hydration unit that came with it.

I'm actually thinking the humidity might be higher than the meter is indicating because there are a couple of very thin condensation layers forming in the glass. Is that normal during the seasoning process? That digital hygrometer can't get here soon enough! I read one review on Amazon for this humidor where the buyer said it took him almost a month to get the humidity stabilized at 70%.

debrent 02-04-2012 03:33 AM

Update 2: Mystery solved! My ceiling fan was the culprit. Apparently a ceiling blowing on the outside of an analog hygrometer (at least a cheap one) causes it to read a lower rh level. It must force air through the bezel becuase if I just block the meter (not the whole humidor) from the fan, it holds its value...weird.

Anyway, it's all moot now because my digital arrived today and I just calibrated it and am re-testing it. If all goes well tomorrow it will get installed and the analog will be no more than a decoration.