• 3 Post By Drez_
  • 2 Post By UBC03
  • 2 Post By jpoc127

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-23-2020, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Coolidor rh question

Hey guys,

I have lurked these forums a bunch and thought I would turn to you for help. I have been a weekly smoker for about ten months (although nothing this month, work and weather - sad!), and finally took the plunge re: building a coolidor so I could enjoy the smokes I like without being at the mercy of the local BM's conditions. So, at the outset, my target is 65/65 as a baseline, as I know I don't like 70/70, and then I will adjust from there.

The set up is a Coleman Xtreme (small, wheeled one). I sealed off the gasket and added 1/16" neoprene weather striping to improve the seal. I have two 320g Boveda 65% packs at the bottom and a Butler at the top.

Right now the interior is jam packed with cedar trays and empty boxes, no sticks yet. After seasoning, humidity was sky high, so I let things dry out into the 50s and then threw the packs in, which stabilized at 65/66% at 60F (turns out that corner of my living room is pretty chilly!). I recently moved the set up to a warmer room (now stable at 65/66F) but the humidity has climbed to 68 and been holding there for three days. Should I:

A) Be patient and wait for it to go down without intervention
B) Remove the packs and let things dry out because clearly the environment is still oversaturated
C) Recalibrate the Butler as it was subject to a lot of humidity swings after I first calibrated it
D) Some combination of the above or something else that my novice brain has overlooked

I look forward to your insight and I really appreciate any help as I get my collection started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-23-2020, 04:41 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Be patient, if things are over saturated the boveda packs will take care of it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
curmudgeonista likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-23-2020, 04:46 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

E] If your using Bovedas and you have enough for the volume and number of cigars, just stop fretting it and put your cigars in.

The worst thing that ever happened to me for my Wineador, was having a hygrometer in there. I have Bovedas in there and would constantly react to reading changes throughout the week and even the day. If you trust that your cooler is airtight, then just put the Bovedas and Cigars in there and let them do the job of caring for your cigars. Every once in a while, check the Bovedas to see if they are swelling or shrinking and replace them when they are about to pop, or when they start to get flat and grainy feeling.

The Butler is a cool gadget, but it tends to lend more to paranoia, than anything else.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

post #4 of 8 Old 01-23-2020, 06:14 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

So, back when I was active here I got to where I pushed Boveda like they were crack. Main reason is because they took the worry, the constant watch and wait out of it for me.

Don't fret at every single hygrometer reading you see. They are never going to be 100% accurate all the time, no matter what hygrometer you get or how much it costs. The faster they update readings, the more they will seem to be off - especially if you're a fan of opening and closing the cooler to appreciate or often remove cigars. Each time you open, that outside humidity is going to blend in some. Not enough to throw everything off, but maybe a reading when it hits the air. I don't speak for anyone else, but I refuse to put a hygrometer in my tupperware anymore. Just no need, because all it did was caused worry. I trust the Boveda enough that I don't feel I need them. I can judge when it may be time to swap or move Boveda around, and do that as might be necessary but to sit and watch a digital readout is only going to cause stress.

If you think you have enough Boveda? Add three or four more. They can lay anywhere, don't take up much room..and you cannot over do them. If you stay steady, your Boveda should really NEVER get that flat grainy feeling mentioned above. I've been using the same packs for five years, and never really "HAD" to recharge or replace them. If you do have some that dry out - don't throw them away, recharge them.

If they are over swelling or feel about to "pop" they are working way too hard, and you definitely need more. Don't throw them out or replace them, just add some more to stop them working so hard and spread the love around.

To each their own, and some may disagree..my own personal taste is. You don't need the boxes or trays. Anything cedar, wood of any type really..is going to absorb and release moisture at varying rates. It is also going to release it if the outside air isn't as saturated. It's a great buffer when well seasoned in a wooden environment, but you're storing in plastic. You take up a bit of room with wood storage vs plastic smaller dividers or containers. You're going to affect the entire humidity a ton less with the plastic and boveda combination. The only time I'd consider keeping boxes is with special edition releases, coffins and things like that.

One last thing. Might shoot for 62% Bovedas. That's all I use, on everything. No product is perfect. There will be some times you're running Boveda and may read 68 if you're using 65. It doesn't mean your humidity is always at 68. Or that they aren't working, or that the cigars will be too wet and bad. Just that when you checked, your hygrometer said 68. It may only read that way for a short while. Might be sitting next to some newly bought, wet cigars. Maybe right next to a Boveda pack that is pulling moisture out. It doesn't just happen with the snap of a finger, bigger the space the longer the time to regulate.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-23-2020, 09:34 PM
CAT WRANGLER

If you've got any old crunchy Boveda packs. Toss em in there. They'll speak up the extra RH in a week or so.

Remember Boveda are great but they're not magic. They take time. They take alot longer to suck up rh than to put it out. Unless they're old crunchy ones.

Also, Boveda are rechargeable. So don't throw em away.

Sent from. .. HAPPY HOLIDAYS.. YA JAGGOFFS
OneStrangeOne and Mich_smoker like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #6 of 8 Old 01-25-2020, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Hey yinz,

Took all my cedar out for a day, put everything back in, and now stable at 64 rh. I think the bovedas must have become overcharged from the cedar at some point. First sticks are on their way. Happy 28th birthday to me.

Thanks for all the advice!
UBC03 and JtAv8tor like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 12:50 AM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoc127 View Post
Hey yinz,

Took all my cedar out for a day, put everything back in, and now stable at 64 rh. I think the bovedas must have become overcharged from the cedar at some point. First sticks are on their way. Happy 28th birthday to me.

Thanks for all the advice!
Where you at , and don't say Pittsburgh. Nobody lives in Pittsburgh.. Damn yinzers are everywhere n'at.

Sent from. .. inside your house... bwahaha

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #8 of 8 Old 01-26-2020, 07:38 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoc127 View Post
Hey guys,

I have lurked these forums a bunch and thought I would turn to you for help. I have been a weekly smoker for about ten months (although nothing this month, work and weather - sad!), and finally took the plunge re: building a coolidor so I could enjoy the smokes I like without being at the mercy of the local BM's conditions. So, at the outset, my target is 65/65 as a baseline, as I know I don't like 70/70, and then I will adjust from there.

The set up is a Coleman Xtreme (small, wheeled one). I sealed off the gasket and added 1/16" neoprene weather striping to improve the seal. I have two 320g Boveda 65% packs at the bottom and a Butler at the top.

Right now the interior is jam packed with cedar trays and empty boxes, no sticks yet. After seasoning, humidity was sky high, so I let things dry out into the 50s and then threw the packs in, which stabilized at 65/66% at 60F (turns out that corner of my living room is pretty chilly!). I recently moved the set up to a warmer room (now stable at 65/66F) but the humidity has climbed to 68 and been holding there for three days. Should I:

A) Be patient and wait for it to go down without intervention
B) Remove the packs and let things dry out because clearly the environment is still oversaturated
C) Recalibrate the Butler as it was subject to a lot of humidity swings after I first calibrated it
D) Some combination of the above or something else that my novice brain has overlooked

I look forward to your insight and I really appreciate any help as I get my collection started.
https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/cigar...trade-939.html

Tact is for people who arenít witty enough to use sarcasm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page