I need your guys help - Cigar Discussion Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 01-19-2020, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

I need your guys help

So I been trying to figure out if I have an issue with my Hygrometers, Wineador, or my humidification media. To kind cut to the chase, i have 2 Boveda butlers and 2 Caliber Hygrometers. I calibrated them all twice and they all showed 75rh in the calibration kits. Now when i put them in my wineador, i have about 10 point difference between top and bottom on the butlers. But when i put Caliber hygrometers the difference shrinks down to about 5 points between the Caliber. But i know they are calibrated properly. I'm using boveda packs and Heartfield beads all spread out from top to bottom. I don't get whats causing such big differences in reading. So hoping you guys can shed some light on this.

Also is it worth it for me to get a computer fan like the below one and run it on a timer? or will this be waste of time and mone?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4FKP16S5&psc=1

Last edited by scudder; 01-19-2020 at 12:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 01-19-2020, 12:53 AM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Are both hygros the same distance from front to back? I've found pretty wide difference with hygros to close to the glass. I don't use the fan any more, loaded the thing up with 3 x 320g packs (one on each "level") and have went back to just one hygro for peace of mind. All is well. Sticks are smoking just fine.
Kidvegas likes this.

GO BLUE!!
post #3 of 44 Old 01-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I have a Whytner 251s cigar cooler and really Luv it. When I set it up I called Whytner and they said just follow the directions and do not add fans, or gadgets, the cooler is designed for cigars as is. I wiped down with distilled water, seasoned the drawers and shelves lightly with a sponge with DW, let dry completely and installed. Put distilled water in the bottom tray and plugged in for a day, I installed my digital hygrometer right in the center added 65% Bovedas, 2-3 per drawer/shelve. Added cigars that were seasoned at 65%, after two weeks removed the DW tray and itís done. I don't worry about what the temp is from bottom to top. All my cigars smoke great. Temp 63 deg, RH 65%. The great thing about a cooler is you can unplug and it becomes an air tight humidor maintaining perfect humidity. I do a rotation of cigars about every 3 months from top to bottom. Several months back I went to all drawers for more storage ability, used same principle and worked perfect.

Once I did have to add some KL when the humidity out was terrible! The geographical areas across the US and where the cooler is stored makes a huge difference so whats good for one person isnít good for the next. I have my cooler in my basement which is a plus. Room temp is important.

Keep the temp down and RH between 61-65 % and your cigars should smoke perfect. When frustration becomes overwhelming, go to Tupperware with bovedas 62 or 65% air out on occasion and start over with the cooler from scratch. This is of course just my opinion but this is what has worked for me. I have 3 tuppers now and never checked the RH, just added cigars with bovedas and no issues.

Hope this helps a little even though I didnít directly address your question.

Cheers

US Army Veteran 1974-1985

post #4 of 44 Old 01-20-2020, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacket View Post
Are both hygros the same distance from front to back? I've found pretty wide difference with hygros to close to the glass. I don't use the fan any more, loaded the thing up with 3 x 320g packs (one on each "level") and have went back to just one hygro for peace of mind. All is well. Sticks are smoking just fine.
They are at about the same height. I have 1 320G boveda and about 3 60G packs. Plus a pound of beads. And I'm still getting readings that are different on top and bottom. I figured with this setup i should be OK.
post #5 of 44 Old 01-20-2020, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

@Olecharlie The part that is bothering is that between the boveda and the beads, I still have an RH difference between top and bottom as well as 3 different readings between the 2 butlers and caliber hygrometer. The caliber hygrometers are more in sink with what i would expect the reading but the butlers have huge swing.
post #6 of 44 Old 01-20-2020, 05:34 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by scudder View Post
@Olecharlie The part that is bothering is that between the boveda and the beads, I still have an RH difference between top and bottom as well as 3 different readings between the 2 butlers and caliber hygrometer. The caliber hygrometers are more in sink with what i would expect the reading but the butlers have huge swing.
In my experience, caliber hygrometers are far more accurate then the butler's. That's one of the reasons I haven't embraced them yet. There are too many reports of them having problems. I think it may be time to just look at the best gauge of RH, and thats how the cigars themselves are smoking when stored in the environment.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 44 Old 01-20-2020, 05:47 PM
Young Puffer Fish

There will ALWAYS be a diffeence between top and bottom. As counterintuitive as it sounds humidity rises. I went to a xikar fan and put it i
On top to force air down it helped some but there is still a difference. I just keep the lower around 68-67 and the top at 64-65. Ive tried kitty litter, Bead tubes and now an active hunicare humidifier.
UBC03 and zcziggy like this.

Current L.E. USAF Veteran 1983-90
post #8 of 44 Old 01-20-2020, 06:10 PM
CAT WRANGLER

As far as the RH. They're correct, humidity rises..

Easy solution.. NCs on the top..CCs on the bottom... Easy peasy

Sent from. .. HAPPY HOLIDAYS.. YA JAGGOFFS
zcziggy likes this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #9 of 44 Old 01-22-2020, 10:39 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

A secondary possible solution, though some may not follow this route..

This is part of the reason I store sticks in individual tupperware containers with the boveda packs inside of those. It may "cut" a little of the room I have, but it keeps the humidity around the cigars where it needs to be. There is no varying because of lower/higher altitude between the levels. There's no need to nitpick over hygrometers at different points. It also allows for much easier organization, depending on your method of that.

You can keep it sorted by brand, or by flavor profiles.. You loose the cedar aspect, but that is mostly as a medium for retaining/buffering humidity when seasoned so you don't really need it if you are trying to humidity much smaller spaces with Boveda alone. (Or beads, whichever you prefer.) The size difference between box storage vs tupperware eventually edges to the tupperware anyhow, as the thickness is much thinner than the wood overall. I can store 14 of the tupperware sizes I use in my wine cooler if I wanted to really cram it. Each container, depending on cigar size, can hold 10-50 cigars. The boveda packs take up minimum room, one can be laid beneath and on top of the cigars in each container without taking up real storage room. If really worried, one on each end of the container also to keep rock solid.

Everyone has their own storage method and solution, so again that's what is and has worked for me since I switched to the wine cooler. It's just so much easier than trying to buffer and maintain the entire cooler space to only have to maintain individual tupperware spaces.
post #10 of 44 Old 01-22-2020, 12:50 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez_ View Post
A secondary possible solution, though some may not follow this route..

This is part of the reason I store sticks in individual tupperware containers with the boveda packs inside of those. It may "cut" a little of the room I have, but it keeps the humidity around the cigars where it needs to be. There is no varying because of lower/higher altitude between the levels. There's no need to nitpick over hygrometers at different points. It also allows for much easier organization, depending on your method of that.

You can keep it sorted by brand, or by flavor profiles.. You loose the cedar aspect, but that is mostly as a medium for retaining/buffering humidity when seasoned so you don't really need it if you are trying to humidity much smaller spaces with Boveda alone. (Or beads, whichever you prefer.) The size difference between box storage vs tupperware eventually edges to the tupperware anyhow, as the thickness is much thinner than the wood overall. I can store 14 of the tupperware sizes I use in my wine cooler if I wanted to really cram it. Each container, depending on cigar size, can hold 10-50 cigars. The boveda packs take up minimum room, one can be laid beneath and on top of the cigars in each container without taking up real storage room. If really worried, one on each end of the container also to keep rock solid.

Everyone has their own storage method and solution, so again that's what is and has worked for me since I switched to the wine cooler. It's just so much easier than trying to buffer and maintain the entire cooler space to only have to maintain individual tupperware spaces.

Sounds cool - letís see a picture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO BLUE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page