Humador almost finished, but - Cigar Discussion Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-03-2019, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Humador almost finished, but

howdy all,
it's john the resident hypochondriac here with a few question and comments.

#1 got my drawers from Forrest at wineadors.com. they are absolutely beautiful and fit and smell fantastic! Thanks again, Forrest, for your excellent craftsmanship. i had ordered a bull drawer set, but there was one small issue with one drawer. i talked to Forrest and he told me to send it back for him to fix. he sent me an RMA that day and had the drawer back to me 2 weeks later with zero charge. mind you, it takes a long time to get drawers from forrest b/c he is so busy, but it is well worth the wait!

now, about fans. i'd like to run some computer fans thru the drainage hole (before i seal it shut). seems that you would have to cut off the cable ends for the cable to run through it, so i'd guessing i need to make my own fan contraption with just the red and black wires connect to an external AC power adapter.

question is...how many fans do i need, what size, and what kind of AC wall power adulator should i use. is there any device that i could splice in that could increase/decrease the fan speed (on the outside end? i would love to see some people's fan set up so i can sorta get a sense of how to construct it. please post your pics if you have any or can take a few!

on the hypochondriacol end, i side stepped any issues by not licking anything electrical or trying to clean the inside of the humidor with my tongue. i did have to make a tinfoil hat to deal with the internal tracking device.......which i know is there, but just haven't found it yet.

thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190127_235930.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	581.8 KB
ID:	238324  

Name:	20190127_235849.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	665.6 KB
ID:	238326  

Name:	20190127_235825.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	238328  

Attached Images

Ranger0282 and OneStrangeOne like this.

John
The 'un-official' resident Hypochondriac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-03-2019, 12:01 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Check out my wineador build thread. It shows the fans I used and answers some of your questions. On Tapatalk now and I don't know how to post a link here

No cigar until you get a par - birdie if it's a scramble !
post #3 of 11 Old 02-07-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

i read your thread. amazing work. i would never have thought of using squire-cage fans........and the channel you made with the 1x1s is genious
my humidor is smaller.......i have the 181e and it has a channel built into it from the bottom of the fan that goes downward, so i don't know if there would be a conflict between them both.
i'll post it later. it's root canal time! don't want to be late for that!
john

John

post #4 of 11 Old 02-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Not a Serious Person

Are you sure you need fans?
post #5 of 11 Old 02-09-2019, 12:58 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluorideInMyWater View Post
i read your thread. amazing work. i would never have thought of using squire-cage fans........and the channel you made with the 1x1s is genious
my humidor is smaller.......i have the 181e and it has a channel built into it from the bottom of the fan that goes downward, so i don't know if there would be a conflict between them both.
i'll post it later. it's root canal time! don't want to be late for that!
john
Thanks, glad you were able to find it and look it over. I chose them as the pull from one side and blow out at a 90 degree so I can pull across the bottom where the beads are and blow up the back and it will circulate down the front. The fans are designed for cooling electronics but worked fine for this application. The controller varies the speed and a timer turns them off and on at whatever intervals you want.

I looked at computer fans but you have to mount them somehow and they would only blow up, into the bottom of the bottom drawer. No speed control either. But if you can get it far enough back or angled it may work for you. If your wino is smaller you can probably use a single fan - I went big.

A big factor here was I already had my drawers (from Forrest) and knew what my maximum space was before I planned it out. You have to start there (in my opinion) and fit in what you can.

post #6 of 11 Old 02-09-2019, 01:04 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth10 View Post
Are you sure you need fans?
I definitely like the idea of some air flow, spreading the humidity around since most of it is under the bottom drawer, but that's me. 5-6 Bovedas and beads under that bottom drawer with no circulation would get me concerned about mold.
In the coolers I don't have any fans so I make sure I open them every week to give it a little circulation.

post #7 of 11 Old 02-09-2019, 08:56 AM
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Nice looking setup. Bet your going to love it.

As for tonys thread, here it is for anybody else that wants to know about his fans.
https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/cigar...pic-heavy.html
WNYTony likes this.

Only a little bit, I was able to get it in the truck without a forklift,,, - OneStrangeOne
post #8 of 11 Old 02-10-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

tony,
your setup is fantastic. great setup for sure.
a few questions....
1 what did you use bond the cedar to the back wall?.....and the fans to the cedar?
2 how low do the fan regulars allow you to decrease the rpm's on the fans? is it incremental notches or can you just about turn the fans off so the airflow is really really low?

Elizabeth,

from all the posts i have read the one thing that everyone has mentioned is that there is higher humidity and heat at the top.......maybe 5 degrees F and 5-10% higher humidity. i rather get it set up so i don't have to do anything major once it's set up and i plug the drainage hole.

the design of my 181e is a bit different and of course is smaller. i need to measure the back to see if 2 fans would fit. you can see the channel from the the fan to the bottom (upside down triangular) which forces air down i'm assuming so i can't, or shouldn't obstruct that flow.
images below (they need to be 90degrees clockwise. from some reason the uploader puts them on their sides).

edit - looks like i have 10.5" from side to side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190103_144728.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	686.1 KB
ID:	238850  

Name:	20190108_205524.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	714.2 KB
ID:	238852  

John

Last edited by FluorideInMyWater; 02-10-2019 at 01:05 AM. Reason: additional info
post #9 of 11 Old 02-10-2019, 01:13 AM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by csk415 View Post
Nice looking setup. Bet your going to love it.

As for tonys thread, here it is for anybody else that wants to know about his fans.
https://www.cigarforums.net/forums/vb/cigar...pic-heavy.html
Thanks for that Chris. Meant to post it when I was back on the desktop but, well... this was way easier !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluorideInMyWater View Post
tony,
your setup is fantastic. great setup for sure.
a few questions....
1 what did you use bond the cedar to the back wall?.....and the fans to the cedar?
2 how low do the fan regulars allow you to decrease the rpm's on the fans? is it incremental notches or can you just about turn the fans off so the airflow is really really low?
Pretty sure I used this on the spanish cedar. My research had brought up aquarium sealant as being odorless and recommended for sealing up cabinets and glass tops.

Fans were mounted with some velcro in case I ever needed to pull and replace them.

Regulators have no notches - it clicks on and then is a smooth speed control so yes you can just barely turn them on. I have them set very low myself.

Hope that helps - works well for me
csk415 likes this.

post #10 of 11 Old 02-10-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTony View Post
Thanks for that Chris. Meant to post it when I was back on the desktop but, well... this was way easier !

Pretty sure I used this on the spanish cedar. My research had brought up aquarium sealant as being odorless and recommended for sealing up cabinets and glass tops.

Fans were mounted with some velcro in case I ever needed to pull and replace them.

Regulators have no notches - it clicks on and then is a smooth speed control so yes you can just barely turn them on. I have them set very low myself.

Hope that helps - works well for me

Tony, yes that helps a ton. i got aquarium silicone as well.
because i only have 10.5" i might only be able to mount 1 fan or find some that are much smaller. my concern is accidentally blocking the air flow from that triangular channel at the bottom.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page