smell in cc-100 newair. problems problems - Page 3 - Cigar Discussion Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 Old 05-21-2018, 09:12 PM
Young Puffer Fish

Another thing to try would be open it up, plug it in and run it for at least a couple hours. While I highly doubt this is the case (also not an area of expertise) they may put a small coating of some sort of chemical on some of the electrical components to protect them while they are in warehouses/transport/etc until they are finally plugged in and operating as normal. Had this happen with a slow cooker recently, the gf freaked out and wanted to take it back, sure enough upon second use the smell had disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 05-26-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

i aired it out for a whole week and it still stinks. this is going on 3.5 weeks.
i thought maybe the activated carbon might not have had enough surface area since it lays flat, so i got some briquittes which give more surface area when you stack them in a big bowl.

i got 2 different bags of charcoal. not sure which to use
1 is trader joes..........98% charcoal, 2% cornstarch.

the other is stubbs briquettes. says 95% charcoal and 5% vegetable something..........i guess to hold the briquettes together.
which one? if it's all natural then i shouldn't have to worry............i hope. i tried to find 100% but that only came in lump charcoal.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180526_172410.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	672.9 KB
ID:	217561  

Name:	20180526_171457.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	781.3 KB
ID:	217569  

post #23 of 33 Old 05-26-2018, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

i also posted a really bad review on amazon.com..........not that they care, but here is what i said

"i've had this item for just over 3 weeks now. the SMELL IS HORRENDOUS. i had heard it took a weeks process to get rid of the production smells. I washed it with a mixture of distilled vinegar, distilled water, and baking soda......about 4 times. washed it with distilled water w/ a little soap. didn't help a bit. put activated carbon in it and let it circulate for a week.......AND IT STILL SMELLS. i'll really pissed with this company because they should not be selling a product that you are going to store a "consumable" in and then leave it to the customer to make it healthy enough to put something consumable in. if your product is not ready to use DON'T SHIP IT TO CUSTOMERS!!!!!! it's just basic common sense. if you have to air your humidors out for 2 months and clean then up then you should do it and not make it the responsibility of your customers!!!!!! i have SOOOO FRIGGIN HAD IT WITH THIS PIECE OF CRUD!!!!"

post #24 of 33 Old 05-27-2018, 06:58 AM
Mr. Pi$$ n Vinegar

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

Have you considered exorcism? That is one evil wine cooler and I'd probably sell it on Craigslist to someone who lost their sense of smell ...or take it out in the middle of a lake and put bricks in it and throw it overboard. I'd be afraid that thing might be radioactive.
UBC03, Kidvegas, Ewood and 3 others like this.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #25 of 33 Old 05-28-2018, 12:14 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Have you considered exorcism? That is one evil wine cooler and I'd probably sell it on Craigslist to someone who lost their sense of smell ...or take it out in the middle of a lake and put bricks in it and throw it overboard. I'd be afraid that thing might be radioactive.

...I get the feeling it would show up on his front porch the day after sinking.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cigary and TxColt like this.

post #26 of 33 Old 07-04-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

i returned the CC-100. i was just soooooo frustrated by it. there may have been some smell from the cedar but i took those out day 1 and put new-paper in it for 4 days.........and then began the full scale cleaning process. the cedar had a weird smell to it, like chemicals.........so after 2 months i just said to myself, "screw it"

i ordered an AW-181 which has more room for less money, and i was planning on ordering drawers from wineadors.com anyways, so the savings i was able to apply to the drawers.

so now i have 100% natural briquettes and my cigars in a Tupperware container b/c there was still a little factory smell. no where near what the CC-100 had. (see picture).

new issue - everything was going great and the humidor was running for 1.5 weeks and then 2 days ago, all of a sudden, there was a wining noise coming from it. it's high pitch and sounds like its coming from a fan inside...like the bearings are bad or something like that. when i set it for lower temperatures the whining increasing a lot but then decreases when i put the temp back at 65. even at 65, i can hear it start to whine while i'm watching TV.

i don't know if this is just how it is or if this is a defect. i whining might make me go crazy...........or crazier than i already am. let me know if this is your experience with newair wineadors!
thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180704_161902.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	638.9 KB
ID:	222602  

post #27 of 33 Old 07-04-2018, 08:33 PM
H.R. Pufnstuf

I have a CC-300 with nary a problem...bought another a month ago and she's running 5x5...

I wish you better luck this round....

Sent from the Stoopid Factory HR Dept....
Kidvegas likes this.

....that's almost like flying on a plane with one wing. ~Cigary
post #28 of 33 Old 07-04-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickorynut View Post
I have a CC-300 with nary a problem...bought another a month ago and she's running 5x5...

I wish you better luck this round....

Sent from the Stoopid Factory HR Dept....

what R your issues on your 300? did you send it back?
post #29 of 33 Old 07-04-2018, 09:42 PM
H.R. Pufnstuf

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluorideInMyWater View Post
what R your issues on your 300? did you send it back?
No issues at all. Baking soda washed the plastic, let em air dry and season the wood. So far they are functioning great.
Kidvegas likes this.

....that's almost like flying on a plane with one wing. ~Cigary
post #30 of 33 Old 07-04-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickorynut View Post
s

No issues at all. Baking soda washed the plastic, let em air dry and season the wood. So far they are functioning great.
I have a CC-300 with nary a problem

i'm guessing "nary" is a typo.........is that supposed to say "with out any?"

do you hear the fans rev'ing at all or are they completely silent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page