Sticky THIS! I Am Sick And Tired of Seeing Good BOTL Ripped OFF! - Page 3 - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Easier without the hat.

Re: Sticky THIS! I Am Sick And Tired of Seeing Good BOTL Ripped OFF!

Spoken from the heart. I use a vino myself, but I know where you are coming from. Not sure Id recommend an expensive humi for a new smoker. Kind of a high barrier to entry.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I have no use for RG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

all this talk about eds humi's are ticking me off, thats it, im beging the wife for one for christmas. lol.

Facebook Group for Pipes and Cigars
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TampaBayCigarBox/
post #23 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 04:55 PM
SCUBA Chimp

So, you're saying not to buy anything from Cheap Humidors, Bargain Humidors, CI, Cbid, Thompson, Holtz, JR, etc? These companies are just out to rip off BOTLS?

I believe that they are filling the demand for a price point that allows people to get into the hobby of keeping cigars, rather than going to the B&M when they want a smoke. Lots of people don't have the disposable income to drop $300+ on a first humidor, but want to take the next step. If all the furniture in your house is made from particle board and cheap veneer, then why would you consider anything better for cigars?

I don't disagree that a cooler is a better investment than a cheap humidor. I always suggest a cooler to anyone considering a humidor purchase. They are easier to set up and maintain, at a fraction of the cost.

I started with a high end humidor, and personally think that they are the biggest waste of money you could make...but to each their own. Everyone must make a personal decision between function, form, and price. Some people feel that a cooler isn't an option due to aesthetics, or the fact that a cooler doesn't breath like wood. There are plenty of people on this site who are successfully using inexpensive units. Maybe they had to improve the seal on their humidor or charge their humidifiers more often, but so long as they maintain a respectable rH and enjoy their smokes, more power to them. Thats an extra $200-300 that they can spend enjoying cigars, rather than spending it on an ornate humidor that doesn't give them any more enjoyment than their cheap unit.

Smoking isn't the kind of hobby that requires a lot of research to get started, so there will always be a lot of newbs making the same mistakes that the rest of us made when we got started. The whole point of this site is the exchange of information. I'm sorry you are annoyed by people asking the same questions or experiencing the same problems week after week, but everyone is at a different point in their journey. Without those redundant posts, this site would be DEAD. Luckily, different people chime in and offer up points that didn't come up in similar threads, which still allows more experienced members to glean some new information as well. Without that new content, your search rankings would suffer, traffic on this site would decline, sponsors would dry up, and this site would be no more. But at least you wouldn't be bothered by the same old shit.

Instead of making an angry rant and belittling members who purchase these cheap units, why don't you make a real contribution and tell people how to identify a quality humidor? Price is not a good indicator of quality. If you saw these humidors selling at MSRP, your advice would still yield the same POS. I've seen B&M's that carry the same crappy humidors that you see on the internet, but they charge hundreds of dollars for them.

If you're tired of answering questions, then by all means stop. I'm sure others would be glad to give back to the pot and help a newb, without getting bent out of shape.

post #24 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Teh Kid

Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid

Eric, Don has done enough regarding how to set-up humidors, he gets his rant IMO and if his rant stops one person from buying a crappy humidor, mission accomplished.

http://twitter.com/charlieminato
editor, halfwheel.com
post #25 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Well, as a NEWB, my opinion doesn't count for much at all, but you know what they say about opinions, they are like a$$holes, everyone has one, and they all stink!!

I have two cheapo chinese humi's, both from cheaphumidor. I store my sticks in the basement, and to be honest I'm not looking for something that is gorgeously made of fine wood or finish just yet. Seems to me like these cheap humidors do a fine job at keeping rh and temp, I have no problems with construction, and all of my 'gars taste pretty dang good when I smoke um! LOL

Don, when it comes down to it, you are right, you always get what you pay for in life. But I think sometimes the keeping of cigars is taken to an extreme, its pretty simple, keep um in some spanish cedar, keep the temp and rh under control.........done.

PPD: Cigar Bombing Task Force
post #26 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

I have had four humidors over the past 15+ years of my indulgence. The last two I have bought over the past year. The first two just lost their seal over time. The third one I bought, I liked so much , I bought a second in the larger size. I bought these on Ebay. I know I know....Ebay???? I was a bit sceptical but they looked like quality pieces and I took the gamble. I am glad I did. These are built to your own specs as far as wood type and edging/trim. By the way, no I am not the seller of these humidors, just a happy customer who thought others should share the benefit.

Custom Hardwood Humidors - eBay (item 130373181130 end time Aug-06-10 0703 PDT)
post #27 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM
SCUBA Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenmackid View Post
Eric, Don has done enough regarding how to set-up humidors, he gets his rant IMO and if his rant stops one person from buying a crappy humidor, mission accomplished.
Agreed.

However, people WILL continue to buy them. They WILL continue to have the same issues and questions. They WILL come to the forums to seek help. They should NOT be insulted for buying one, especially by a experienced brother.

It happens in EVERY cigar forum, so angry rants won't change anything. It's as pointless as bitching about Cello vs. Non-cello, 65% vs 70%, CC vs NC, or Heartfelt vs. X.
post #28 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Young Maduro Fish

I bought an inexpensive humidor from c-bid and I got exactly what I paid for... a respectable looking humidor that holds a precise RH that is only disturbed by my opening the lid far too often to enjoy my hobby! It does what I bought it for and is very, very good for the money I spent IMHO.

Not to get too argumentative, but humidors are just another good like any other; there are nice mass produced models to choose from (maybe a Ford or even Mercedes/BMW on the higher end) all the way up to exquisite, limited manufacture models that are truly works of art (Ferrari, Bentley, etc). I don't think many people would say that unless you get a Ferrari, you shouldn't bother buying crap. I'm not even in the Ford level of humidors (hyundai is more like it, which also happens to be what I drive) and I am extremely satisfied.

And much of building humidors is industrial/manufacturing science and not art. Are the tolerances precise? Good quality materials relative to the job at hand? Designs that match form with function? Of course the aesthetics are art, but that's about it and I'm simply not willing to pay much for it. Certainly not $2 a stick (I paid about $0.50) when the difference is largely aesthetic. Mine is just highly polished wood, about as plain as you can get for a purchased humidor. It looks good too.

While I absolutely support local craftsmen, industries and manufacturers (I live in Parma, OH, right outside of downtown Cleveland - 15 minutes of driving and I can take you to Ford and Chevy plants and a steel mill along with many others), sometimes if all you want is a quality, no frills manufactured item, the inexpensive one from Asia is a good choice.

I'll eventually build my own as I know my way around the shop and come from a very long line of people who work with their hands for a living. But that's because I want to do it for the simple joy of doing so rather than any concerns about the quality of my current humidor.

I have a clue yet still chose to purchase an inexpensive humidor from China that I thought would meet my needs. It does the job very well, was worth every penny and I'd make the same choice today. I'm sorry that these "crappy" humidors are so disturbing for some, but they obviously fill a major market need as evidenced by the demand. And, as I said before, many of us are perfectly happy with them.

"A woman is just a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke!"
post #29 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Easier without the hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man View Post
Agreed.

However, people WILL continue to buy them. They WILL continue to have the same issues and questions. They WILL come to the forums to seek help. They should NOT be insulted for buying one, especially by a experienced brother.

It happens in EVERY cigar forum, so angry rants won't change anything. It's as pointless as bitching about Cello vs. Non-cello, 65% vs 70%, CC vs NC, or Heartfelt vs. X.
Non
65%
CC
Heartfelt
/thread

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I have no use for RG.
post #30 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtotoro View Post
Non
65%
CC
Heartfelt
/thread
I say
No cello
63%
Non CC
Distilled Water
/thread!!

And i love my imperfect, glass top, three pullout drawers cheaphumidors humi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
botl, good, ripped, sick, sticky, tired

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page