Sticky THIS! I Am Sick And Tired of Seeing Good BOTL Ripped OFF! - Page 2 - Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

Re: Sticky THIS! I Am Sick And Tired of Seeing Good BOTL Ripped OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
100 ct humidor for $19.99! 300 ct humidor for $199.00! BIG GIANT TOWER HUMIDOR, for $500!

CRAP! I don't care how stand-up the vendor is. You're getting pacific-rim, sweat-shop crap!

So what, if you get a "warranty"! You still bought crap and you'll likely have to send it back, over and over and over, until you get something you can BARELY live with!

Please, STOP falling for this FALSE ECONOMY!

Buy QUALITY! BUY AN INVESTMENT-GRADE HUMIDOR, right out of the gate.

Carpentry is a skill.

Craftsmanship is an ART! Humidors are built by craftsmen, not assembly lines.

If you do not possess the means to purchase a quality humidor, from a reputable craftsman, then, for the LOVE OF GOD, get a cooler!

Get one Really nice humidor that you will still think is the greatest a couple of decades from now and igloos as the need arises.

If you cant afford the humidor of your dreams, skip the wood humidor step at first and get an ice chest to begin with. That will buy you the extra time needed while you save up for a Really Nice humidor, and the coolerdor will give you an introduction to maintaining humidity in a much simpler environment. You will be better prepared to deal with the more complicated environment when you finally finish saving, and the environment wont be that much more complicated since you saved up and got a Really Good humidor.

Thanks for calling it like you see it HerfN. Brutally Honest is very refreshing IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 AM
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
Gentlemen,

I am so sick and tired and totally fed-up with answering questions about how to deal with sub-standard humidors. GOD knows, I have done my level-best to help all of you, who purchase off-shore products, but I don't think I can stand to do it, anymore.

100 ct humidor for $19.99!
300 ct humidor for $199.00!
BIG GIANT TOWER HUMIDOR, for $500!

Guys, you are falling for CRAP! I don't care how stand-up the vendor is. You're getting pacific-rim, sweat-shop crap!

So what, if you get a "warranty"! You still bought crap and you'll likely have to send it back, over and over and over, until you get something you can BARELY live with!

Please, STOP falling for this FALSE ECONOMY!

THERE's NO FREE LUNCH! You GET what You PAY FOR!

STop ExPEctIng a sOw's ear to Be a sILk purse! It's NOT and can never BE!

Buy QUALITY! BUY AN INVESTMENT-GRADE HUMIDOR, right out of the gate.

Here's a good rule-of-thumb: The humidor you purchase should cost you AT LEAST $2/ct capacity! What that MEANS is that if you purchase a humidor that has a 150ct capacity, you should expect to pay NO LESS THAN $300 for it! There are NO exceptions! Otherwise, YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE ISSUES!

Get a clue!

Carpentry is a skill.

Craftsmanship is an ART! Humidors are built by craftsmen, not assembly lines.

If you don't, you're on your own.

If you do not possess the means to purchase a quality humidor, from a reputable craftsman, then, for the LOVE OF GOD, get a cooler!

Work out your own issues. I can't take much more of this.
Great post Don well said a true BOTL!:smoke:

"Dear Lord Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad."- Eli
post #13 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

If you are cheap...like I am...get a cooler! Still would LOVE a custom WaxingMoon creation..maybe someday!

post #14 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Teh Kid

Send a message via AIM to thegoldenmackid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stench View Post
If you are cheap...like I am...get a cooler! Still would LOVE a custom WaxingMoon creation..maybe someday!
Or tupperware.

http://twitter.com/charlieminato
editor, halfwheel.com
post #15 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Retired Cigar Whore

Bro, you aren't that important :evil:

Retired Island Whore
post #16 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackham View Post
and think of this as a life time investment. A good quality humidor technically can last decades, when you factor this in it's only like paying $10-20 per year for cigar maintenance
I like this line of thinking. A quality humidor will simply keep the cigars in optimal condition for either aging or smoking. It will also lessen the worry in the long time.
post #17 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Up on One

It is a combination of things...could be a lackluster product or somebody taking the dollar bill test to an extreme, i.e. if it doesn't rip in half, the seal sucks.

I have 3 Chinese made humidors, and all 3 hold perfectly, 2 of which are glass tops. The 3rd is an Altadis RyJ humidor...you know, one of those $500 promos. On the bottom of the humi, what was I surprised to find? Made in China. But, I wasn't as jumpy with the products, as I've read your thread to see that it does take time, months sometimes for a humidor to equalize. Excited newcomers might not have this type of patience, and will be quick to ask for help, and many times the answer is as simple as "Give it time."

At the end of the day, I think it is more of a paranoia amongst newer collectors/smokers with all of the information out there, i.e. Glass tops suck, your dollar must rip in order to pass, your humi should be 70% every second of the day, etc.

I've always taken to the theory of, if you don't like the thread don't post in it. You've taught Charlie well, and I'm sure he'll fill your shoes well!
post #18 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Disinterested

Just to clarify a couple of things. I didn't mean to imply that the entire country of China is utterly incapable of producing anything of quality. The Altadis humidors mentioned above are of impeccable quality and treasured by all who own them.

As far as Waxingmoon, his humidors are most definitely in the craftsman/work-or-art category. Consensus is that Ed charges far too little for his product, across the board. He has reasons for doing this, and I don't really see anyone buying who's begging him to pay more

I'm also not denying that there are samples out there that work passably well. Whether or not they will work to this degree in 5-10-20yrs? I have my doubts. If the owner is happy now, then so am I and as always, wish every BOTL the best in both life and luck.
post #19 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Siv
Puffer Fish with some spikes

A quality humidor is a piece of furniture first and cigar storage second. If you want something that looks nice AND stores cigars well then I 100% agree with the OP.

The cheap humidors just look nice. You may luck yourself into one that works well but it'll be an accident, not by design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenmackid View Post
Or tupperware.
Trully the best humidor! Plastic has never let me down.
post #20 of 76 Old 07-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Steadiest hand

Hmmm..... I've been building knowledge for a month or so at most, and as best as I can tell Don asked for a smoke when he exited the womb, so take this for whatever it's worth: I don't completely agree on this. I spent something like $20 on my humidor. I bought it from CheapHumidor's shop on Amazon (this was before I found Puff). Now, it clearly isn't heirloom quality - as far as I can tell it's a cheap laminate over Spanish cedar. I doubt that it would pass the dollar test, but it seems to hold RH pretty well. So it works, and I didn't have to spend a whole hell of a lot of money to get into a hobby that I wasn't completely sure I'd stick with. I bought it knowing that it would not be of the highest quality. It has absolutely met my expectation - and given that it's a $20 humi, I am perfectly happy with it. It won't last, I don't think, but my father-in-law is an excellent woodworker and I'm going to ask him to help me build a nice humi sometime in the fall.

imho, the issue isn't the fact that there are $20 humidors, it's that people think that a $20 humi has the same quality as one of the waxingmoon humis and get disappointed when it isn't. I guess they then PM Don asking for help....

On the other hand, six months from now I may be kicking myself for getting it.

Gravity is a harsh mistress. - The Tick
Kick, Pooh, KICK! - Charlotte 'Chuck' Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
botl, good, ripped, sick, sticky, tired

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page